MAPLERIDGE COOPERATIVE PRESCHOOL ASSOCIATION (MCPA)
Policies and Procedures
1. Everyone must enter the building by the SOUTHEAST entrance. ALL people entering the church must remove outdoor footwear on carpets provided. The children should dress in comfortable play clothes and have indoor shoes which can be kept at school for the year.
2. PARKING IS AVAILABLE IN THE EAST PARKING LOT ONLY. The speed limit is 20km/hr. Please watch for children.
3. An adult must accompany your child directly into the classroom. After class, please pick up your child promptly. After 11:15am and 1:45pm, you are responsible for the safety and behavior of your child.
4. This is a Cooperative Preschool which means everyone volunteers in various ways:
a) Classroom Helper – you will be scheduled to help in the class (approx. 8 times in the year). If you cannot help on your scheduled day, you must make the alternative arrangements. Licensing requires that 2 adults be present with the children. Classroom Helpers are to be available when the outer door is unlocked 5 minutes before class. If your scheduled commitment is not fulfilled, by either attending the class or making alternative arrangements, action will be taken by the MCPA Executive Board.
b) Volunteer List – all positions must be filled before the start of school. Those who do not volunteer on said list, will be required to clean school toys, equipment 2 -3 times per school year. During the school year, parents will be called upon to make playdough and to help during holiday parties/special events.
c) Substitute Classroom Helper (SCH) – it is the complete responsibility of the requesting parent to contact a SCH (from your class list) to arrange all details. The SCH will be paid $20.00 by the requesting parent. The requesting parent must inform the Teacher of the substitute. Any interested parent can become a SCH, which is indicated on the class list and sent home at the beginning of the school year. You can remove your name from the SCH list at any time.
5. Please notify the Teacher, in writing (email) or phone message, if your child is to picked up by someone other than who is stated on your Registration Form. Your child will only be released to adults authorized by a parent/guardian.
6. All children MUST be toilet trained, by the start of the school year. All children MUST be able to use the washroom independently.
7. No siblings or other children are allowed in class during regular class hours.
8. Class will be cancelled if the temperature drops below –35C (regardless of wind-chill temperature). You may call the school directly for information regarding cancellations.
9. Healthy Nutritious snacks such as: fruit, vegetables, crackers, cheese, cereal are to be brought by each child each day and put in the food basket to be shared at snack time.
**Please, NO candies, cookies, or pastry on regular snack days.
MCPA is a NUT FREE ZONE
10. REGISTRATION and FEES
a) Pre-registration is held in January for current and previous families enrolled at the preschool. Following this, public registration begins. At registration, you are required to pay a $75.00 non-refundable registration fee and one month’s tuition fee. This acts as next May’s monthly fee and secures your child’s spot for the year.
b) Monthly Fees - must be paid by post-dated cheques, dated the 1st of every month, from September to April. These cheques must be submitted at registration or at the Orientation meeting held in September.
c) Extra-curricular Fee - The Executive determines an extra-curricular fee annually. This fee is non- refundable. This amount is required as a post-dated cheque for May 1st of the year of registration or at time of registration. This is to pay for all field trip fees, in class music sessions and science workshops, year-end family picnic and new toys/equipment for the school. We do not do any fundraising and there are no hidden costs. School pictures and Scholastic book orders are optional.
11. Withdrawal – If you wish to withdraw your child from the program, one month’s written notice must be given to the school. If a full month’s notice is not given, the payment for May will be used as the last month’s fee and any remaining cheques will be returned. No refund will be given for days absent.
12. NSF Policy – In the event a tuition payment is NSF, a service fee will be applied in the amount of $25.00. We realize that sometimes these situations occur, however the following policy applies to all NSF’s: First Occurrence: A letter will be sent home requesting payment in cash to be provided within one week of notice. If payment has not been received in the time allotted, a phone call will be made advising that payment is required. If in the event that payment has not been received prior to the end of the current month, your child will not be permitted to return to class until this has been resolved. Second Occurrence: Same as above. Third Occurrence: A letter will be sent home advising that you will be on a cash only basis which is due on or before the last school day prior to the start of the month. Failure to do so will result in your child being automatically withdrawn from the school.
13. In Case of Emergency Evacuation – the children will be instructed to exit the building quickly and will be walked over to R.T. Alderman Middle School (725 Mapleton Drive S.E.). Parents will be contacted, by telephone, to come and pick up their children there.
14. It is the policy of Mapleridge Cooperative Preschool that all in-class volunteers provide the preschool with a copy of a current (no more than 5 years old) Police Information Check prior to volunteering.